So, after I said I wasn’t going to Auckland Armageddon this year, I ended up going on Sunday courtesy of the wife winning some free tickets. Thanks NeonTV!
The TLDR version of this review is, I’m glad I didn’t pay.
Armageddon has lost its mojo.
I’m just going to go through a basic list of what I thought, and you may or may not agree, which is fine.
- PBTech and Playtech were not present – these guys have been there for the last few years and always seemed to be busy, and had great deals on.
- Toyworld not present – they always had great deals, but not a large range of items, but was always great for picking up stocking fillers etc.
- Cosplayers seemed to be very minimal this time – last year (and before), cosplayers were out in abundance, but this year there seemed to very few present – those that were there, had some fantastic outfits.
- The regular stalls had the same stock and same deals as previous years – come on, do something different.
- The number of repeated stalls was amazing – must have been about half a dozen t-shirt stalls selling the same t-shirts. One candy store had multiple stalls scattered around. Or if it wasn’t the same stores, it was repeats of the exact same stock.
- Chinese counterfeit goods stalls were present – was 2-3 I saw selling knock offs of popular boar games etc.
- Noone “famous” present on Sunday that I’m aware of – used to find a popular author, or artist or something sitting somewhere doing free autographs, or meet and greets, but nope, nadda, zilch, nein.
- Didn’t see any “play” areas for card games such as Magic etc – maybe I missed them.
- Very little gaming orientated merchandise – XPDJunior struggled to find any Overwatch themed clothing.
It just wasn’t the same and I feel its lost its mojo.
I hope it was just a bad year and things pick up again next year, but wont hold my breath.